Romance Scams offers Support, Education, and Healing For All Who Find Their Way Here
"Users have to be aware that anyone asking for your bank account information via e-mail, regardless of their stated reason, is trying to steal your hard-earned money"
Action Steps to Take when Involved with a Scam
When you are scammed you need to make a report to the Credit Bureaus to flag your accounts. So many people give their scammers their personal information and the scammer uses this to do identity theft on their victims. If you have been a victim, call and explain to your situation to the credit bureaus. They will flag your accounts and alert you of any activity that goes on. We have helped many victims who have had credit cards open in their name and charges have been made.
- Immediately cease all contact with the scammer!
- Block their email address, ignore their instant messages, ignore their phone calls
- Contact Western Union to see if the payment has not been picked up yet
- Make copies if your email conversations, and instant messages. Keep originals for yourself, give copies to the various reporting agencies, and keep all receipts and envelopes, anything that can be used as evidence
- Report scammer to dating site you were contacted on, Yahoo Profiles, the FBI IC3 , police department (make a report) and our Database
- Contact the bank fraud department and make payment arraignments if a check/money order has been found fraudulent and you owe money to them
- Contact the bank fraud department if you suspect a check you deposited will come back fraudulent
- Contact your Postal Carrier/Post Office and ask that no packages to be delivered at your home/ work. Also bring checks and Money orders that you received to the Post Office to make a report and turned them over
- Contact your Postal Carrier/Post Office if you have been sent packages or letters to forward for a scammer. Keep the envelopes or shipping package for evidence
- Contact any companies that have sent you gifts or merchandise and inform them that they were purchased on a stolen credit card and make arraignments to have the items returned
- Contact your local Police Department, they may not do anything but it will help you to create a paper trail.
After being scammed you are put on a “contact” list by the scammers. You will be receiving random instant messages and emails from people you do not know. These are scammers trying to scam you again. Please tell them you know they are scammer and block them. You will know within 5 minutes if it’s a scammer by looking at the profile, how they write/speak, their picture, they state they live in Nigeria, they confess their love in the first meeting, they claim God brought you to them etc. After you keep blocking them, they will stop and you will be placed on a “NO” contact list.